A primer course for those wishing to begin training in defensive pistol but do not have immediate access to range facilities or firearms. The Fortress staff will travel to you and provide personal consultation on your defensive pistol needs, as well as introducing the client to basic operation and manipulation of handguns. We can customize this class to your needs and concerns, or expand it to cover all of our safety and mechanical, non-shooting lessons which are a regular part of our Level I Pistol Course, allowing for participation in the shooting portions at a later date.
- Required student skill level: None
- Equipment Required: Your personal firearm(s), or Fortress-supplied pistols. Click here for rental rates
- Ammunition Requirements: None
- Duration: One hour to one day
Teaching Points Include:
- Basic firearms safety
- Range safety
- Firearm selection
- Holster selection
- Carry options
- Sight alignment and trigger control
- Ammunition types and selection
- Disengagement techniques
- Flashlight techniques
- Physiology as it relates to shot placement
- Psychological aspects of a shooting involvement
Col. Jeff Cooper’s 4-Rules of Gun Safety
- All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
- Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
- Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.