“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable…” H. L. Mencken
I’ve done my best to keep politics out of my blog posts as much as possible over the years, but as they say, you can ignore politics, but politics won’t ignore you. Of course, it’s inevitable that I will comment from time-to-time considering how politicized firearms are, and as I get older I really don’t care anymore who takes issue with my opinions. So, with a few days till the election, I’m going to go out on a limb and make a few statements.
First, my personal “political” philosophies break down to a few simple principles:
1 – No one may deprive another of life, limb, liberty, or property. In other words: feel free to do what you will as long as you don’t get any on anyone else.
2 – It’s never moral to steal, no matter how good your intentions. That includes 50.1% voting to tax the other 49.9%, or even 99.9% voting to tax .01%.
3 – Forcing your will on others is immoral. Force may only be applied as defense form a person or group attempting to deprive you of life, limb, liberty, or property.
Pretty simple, huh? …and textbook Libertarian.
Of course, the devil is always in the details, and practical application in the real world when dealing with the majority of human beings always leaves me less than impressed – and what I mean by that is: Most people are simpletons who are not interested in liberty, or respecting the lives and property of others. I don’t say that with elitist intent, I’m just being pragmatic. Individuals are great; I know and love many of them. But, as a group, people are a constant disappointment – to me, at least.
My apathy towards politics and voting reached its apex a few years back. Much of my attitude came from years of reading, research, and study of a rigged system that continued to reward laziness and criminality while celebrating ignorance. As I became worn out from the grind of voting for the lesser of two evils each election, and when voting switched from paper ballots with receipts to easily hacked electronic means with no record of chain of custody, I pretty much concluded that voting was an exercise in futility. In fact, doing so is actually encouragement to a controlled system that laughs at us every time we enter the booth.